Are you an enthusiastic and experienced in robotic systems? Are you looking for a new and exciting challenge as part of a recent spin out robotics inspection company?
Acuity Robotics Ltd (AR) has spin-out from the University of Leeds to commercialise remote exploration robots for non-destructive evaluation and condition monitoring of structures in dangerous, hard to reach environments located at height, restricted spaces and on and under water.
Manual inspection of any tall infrastructure installation is a hazardous occupation for those examining assets at height. AR’s robot technology provides a solution that will significantly de-risk this mandatory maintenance task.
You will join our team based at Leeds to further enhance your own continuous professional development and support the development of our robot technologies to enhance performance, to meet industrial standards for safety and quality, and to perform field tests.
What does the role entail?
As a mechatronic engineer, your main duties will include:
• Taking a supporting role in expanding the capabilities of our current robots specifically towards exploratory asset inspection by further developing our control software and new electronic boards.
• Conducting field trials in real-world environments to gather real-world performance data and iterate development from these.
• Electrical system level design, fabrication, assembly, testing, and evaluation.
• Basic mechanical system level design, fabrication, assembly, testing, and evaluation.
• Reporting to Chief Technology Director and customers.
• Assisting with day-to-day lab management and organisation.
• Assisting and communicating with industrial suppliers and customers.
These duties provide a framework for the role and should not be regarded as a definitive list. Other reasonable duties may be required consistent with the grade of the post.
What will you bring to the role?
As an Engineer, you will have:
• A post-graduate (or expected) degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics, or a related discipline or extensive industry experience.
• Experience of design for robotic systems.
• Experience in electronics, programming, and modelling using industry standard software (KiCAD, Eagle etc.).
• Experience in handling data from robotic sensors (e.g. IMU, Ultrasonic thickness A-scan, Lidar)
• Demonstrable potential to lead the development of robotic systems.
• An enthusiastic approach to development of robotics and autonomous systems.
• Time management and planning skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines, manage competing demands, and work effectively under pressure.
• Excellent written and verbal communication.
• A proven ability to work well both individually and in a team, showing initiative and creativity.
• A strong commitment to your own continuous professional development.
You may also have:
• Ability to use embedded systems software and hardware platforms.
• Experience in developing bespoke robotic systems.
• Experience in the simulation or control of novel robots using standard software or bespoke code (e.g. SolidWorks Simulation, MATLAB).
• Knowledge of Robot Operating Systems (ROS), C++, Python.
Location of role
Based in Leeds with the requirement to already have right to live and work in the UK.
Role best suited to working on site at our facility, with some flexibility dependant on individual tasks.
Role involves limited travel in the UK
• Driving licence preferable.
Salary and Benefits
• £34,000-£38,000 depending on experience and expertise
• 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
• Company share option scheme
How to apply
Applicants who have the right to work in the UK may apply.
Please send a CV and cover letter to the contact information below.
Successful applicants will undergo a technical interview with a practical test (2 hours) followed by a non-technical interview (1 hour).
CLOSING DATE 18TH AUGUST 2023
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Dr Jason Liu, Chief Technology Officer of Acuity Robotics Ltd.
Email: [email protected]